Things of interest that have grabbed my attention. Things to inspire, fascinate, educate and generally get you buzzing.
- Well it is Friday after all and I have a friend coming to visit for the evening, so lets get the ball rolling with this tasty number.
- Marshmallows - Mmmm, I do like me a good marshmallow. I made an attempt at making some last christmas, they turned out ok, however they were lacking that essential 'fluffyness'.
- When the sun does eventually decide to grace us with its pleasure here - I like the idea of sipping one of these on my porch.
- It is so worth reading this - 10 Quotes from a Native American Lakota Chief.
- Fair Play to Jane Fonda.
- Maths and Nature and how they collide beautifully.
- The west coast of Ireland has one of the cleanest coastlines in the world - Fact. For this reason, right here on our doorstep we have some of the best seaweed you can get your hands on.
- Some interesting programs that are helping divert edible food ending up as food waste.
- Plant names - One for the botanists.
- I am finding more and more that my tolerance for people, (fashionista's, commentators, 'style guru's'), that are still lazy enough to shop, buy and advertise the clothes that they are wearing with pride - That they purchased from chainstores that don't give a damn about ethical clothing, and the conditions and pay of those that made them (Penney's/Primark) really gives me a pain. ...So for those out there... here are some tips on how to avoid clothes that are bad for workers and the environment!
- How do you taste your Honey?
- An interesting article on forest foods and how they might help alleviate world hunger.
- We are coming into berry season - Why not ferment a few?
- Let's focus on baking for a while, first up: Blueberry, courgette cake followed by Nectarine, vanilla and blueberry mini pastry pies!
- And to finish... Science and Cocktails
Oh my goodness, has it really been that long since I last posted a 'This Week'?!
I suppose it is a good sign that I have been so busy. Late summer in America Village is all about gathering and drying - That is, foraging for all the summer botanicals and herbs before they dissapear from the landscape - As much as we can carry, bring them back to the Apothecary and hang them to dry.
I have found this year I am having to dry nearly all of my ingredients, this is partly due to the extremely WET summer we have had here on the west coast, All the rain and wet weather effects the flavour, especially of some of the botanicals.
I have also been working on developing the 'Apothecary Club'. People are always asking me if I do workshops, would be interested in doing them. So I have decided it is time.
This Autumn will see the start of the Apothecary Club seasonal Workshops - A place where you will be able to create your own Tinctures, Blend your own Bitters and mix your own Cocktails.
More details to follow...