Dandelion Orange Cake
As a lot of you may be aware at this stage, I am a fierce fan of that humble weed which we call the dandelion - So it was fairly inevitable, that at some point this esteemed plant would be incorporated into a cake!
This dandelion orange cake with dandelion syrup glaze is a winner - If like me, you enjoy a simple cake that is not too fussy yet still delivers a delightful mouthful of pleasure, this is for you.
This cake will make you happy!
I was smiling the whole time whilst preparing and eating the cake - The bright yellow petals, the vibrant orange, sticky syrup, your senses will be full of the joys of SPRINGtime, and all while you relish in the satisfaction of knowing that you created a delicious cake from a 'weed' - Oh the glee!
You will need:
- 200g self raising flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g butter
- 4 eggs
- 100g ground almonds
- Petals from approx 10 dandelion heads
- Juice of one large orange
For the glaze
- America Village Apothecary Dandelion Syrup
- Cake tin (greased)
- Pre-heat oven to 180º
- Beat the sugar and butter together, until creamy
- Whisk the eggs and add to the mixture, along with the juice of the orange - Mix all together until you achieve a smooth like texture
- Add the flour slowly a quarter at a time
- Mix in the ground almonds and lastly the flower petals
- Pour the mixture into your cake tin
- Place in a pre-heated oven for approx 45 mins or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
Turn the cake out onto a wire rack to cool slighty
Drizzle dandelion syrup over the top
The cake can be cooled fully or is delicious when still slightly warm. Serve with a little dandelion syrup infused natural yoghurt on the side.